Who We Are
Even prior to the 1906 founding date, the Lansing brothers were experienced Burroughs representatives. Harry operated the Powers Bldg. office and employed brother Clarence, to help service machines in his after school hours. Eventually, Clarence accepted a position with the National Cash Register Company in Dayton, Ohio. He returned in 1906 to found the since continuously operated Lansing Sales and Service.
The inner loop passed through the original shop located on Joslyn Place, also the site of the Heal Taxidermist, for Wards Natural Science Museum.
In the early years when the register repair business was slow Lansing built experimental Electron tubes (Some as high as three feet) for Rochester Mechanic Institute (Now RIT). And many a Quiet Crystal radio was brought back to life in the Joslyn Place shop. Electronics has shared a part in the company ever since.
Since Joslyn Place, Lansing's has relocated twice with former roots at 599 Monroe Avenue at a shop built in 1972.
In the fifty's the first of many changes were made at Lansing's. Bob and Betsy were joined by Peter, first of three sons, and a beginning of the third generation of the Lansing family to enter the business. The Sweda cash register was the first of many top lines of products to be pioneered by the company, followed by Hugin (Victor) F.J. and MKD point of sale computers. Toshiba calculators and the list goes on...
Sons Tom and Bill have also added their efforts to the firm's operations.
In the 105 years since its founding Lansing's has, repaired everything from brass cash registers to mini computers and cat whiskered crystal radios to electronic calculators, for the community of Rochester.